Musings on the Art of Writing

As a child, I discovered fantastic worlds created in books. When I began writing about the worlds of my own imagination, I realized how hard authors work to set their characters free to live for our enjoyment. This blog will explore that weird and wonderful process.


Friday, October 8, 2010

When is writing not writing

I've been busy the last few months not writing as much as writing and yet, I sit at my computer most days and spend at least an hour tapping my keyboard. Does this 'count' as writing? I'm honing my skills as a communicator, editor, and yes, creative writer but is it what I want/need to do to be an 'actual' writer? I'm not sure.

Since June, I've edited 3 chapters of my aboriginal fantasy novel, White Crane, written blog entries in my travel blog (and travelled), I've made daily comments on Facebook, and perhaps twice daily comments on Twitter. Am I doing too much communicating and not enough writing? Probably. And yet, I'm doing what I love--putting my thoughts down on 'paper'.

But, those words are fleeting things; in cyberspace (thanks, Mr. Gibson) one minute, gone the next. Is that what I seek? No, I wish my stories to be read and re-read, hence my determination to get published. Yet technology entices me away from my goal. Family and friends come first when I have time to write and so they should. No writer lives in a vacuum.

I'm reminded of another Canadian writer who also spent time communicating rather than 'writing' and that was Margaret Laurence. In her later years, she said she spent more time writing letters to friends than writing stories (it was in the days before blogs, Facebook, and Twitter). Ms. Laurence and I share two things other than a love for communicating with friends and family. She addressed my graduating class of 1974 at Carleton University and on January 5 (my birthday), 1987, she committed suicide (her death day). Odd how such things happen.

So rather than spend hours on this blog communicating, I hope to keep it short and sweet in the future so I can spend more time writing stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment